Canigao Island is a noteworthy addition to your itinerary outside of Kalanggaman Island and Cuatros Islas during your trip to Leyte. The island has white sand and clear azure waters that entice visitors to swim and relax afterward. You won’t regret adding this destination to your list because it not only has a beautiful beachscape but an idyllic atmosphere as well.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport, also known as Tacloban City Airport (Leyte); Mactan Cebu International Airport (Cebu)
- The fastest way to get to the group of islands is by booking a flight from Manila to Tacloban. Major airlines fly this route regularly.
- Once in Tacloban, board a van traveling to Maasin; tell the driver you will alight at Matalom. The fare is around P200 to P220.
- At the pier, you have to register at Matalom Municipal Hall and pay the entrance fees and board a pump boat that costs around P60.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
The LGU manages the island, so you have to register at Matalom Municipal Hall. The boats to Canigao are also docked near the municipal hall.
- Environmental Fee: P20 (children); P40 (adults)
- Camping Fee: P100 (tent pitching); P200 – P500 (tent rental, depending on the size)
- Cottage Rental Fee: P500 (day trip) – P700 (overnight); P1500 (bunk/room overnight rate)
- Private Boat Trip Rate: Around P1500 (depending on the size of boat and group)
- Canigao Island is the perfect place to forget your worries and the hustle and bustle of city life. The island has a beautiful beachscape characterized by a white shore, swaying coconut trees, and alluring azure waters. It’s an ideal destination for relaxing, unwinding, and swimming.
- Spend the night on the island to watch the mesmerizing sunset and sunrise.
- As you leave Tacloban, you may have a difficult time withdrawing. Bring enough cash with you before leaving for the island.
- For those who don’t want to rent and pay extra, bring your own camping gear. Also, the island has basic toilet/sanitary facilities.
- Bring your own ready to eat meals and drinks if you plan to spend the entire day or the night on the island. You can also buy fresh food on the island and have someone cook it for you for a fee. Leave no trace behind.
- Keep your stuff from getting wet by putting them inside Ziplocs or a dry bag.
- Keep your devices charged and picture ready by bringing a power bank or extra batteries.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- For those who have time to spare, visit nearby attractions such as the Hitoog Cave and Karap-Agan Waterfalls.
- If you have extra days during your trip, head to Kalanggaman Island or visit Cuatros Islas.
- If you just want to spend less time on the road, you can explore the attractions near Tacloban City before returning to Manila or going to your next destination.
Where to Stay
There are overnight cottages and rooms on the island or you may opt to camp out. But if you are planning to extend your visit to Tacloban, here are some of the recommended hotels according to Agoda users (as of October 2017).
- Hotel XYZ. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Ironwood Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Z Pad Residences. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Hotel Estrella. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY