Mahaba Island is part of your Cuatros Islas tour in this part of Leyte. It has everything you are looking for in a beach destination — fine white sand that fits snugly between your toes, crystalline waters with a colorful and thriving underwater ecosystem, and a rugged beachscape. This is the perfect place to relax, unwind, and forget the stress of city life.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport, also known as Tacloban City Airport (Leyte); Mactan Cebu International Airport (Cebu)
- The fastest way to get to the group of islands is by booking a flight from Manila to Tacloban.
- Once in Tacloban, get on a van traveling to Inopacan; the fare is around P250 and may take approximately 3 hours.
- Once in town you can rent a boat for island hopping. The rates will depend on how big your group is and if you plan to spend the night on one of the islands.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Environmental Fee: P10
- Camping Fee: P50 (tent pitching); P200 (tent rental)
- Cottage Rental Fee: P300 – P500 (open/closed cottage, day trip); P50 (additional charge for overnight cottage use)
- Island Hopping Boat Rates: P2500 (maximum of 10 pax); P3000 (11-20 pax); P4000 (21-30 pax); P500 (additional charge for overnight boat rental)
- Others: P10 (maintenance fee charged by the barangay); P50 (maintenance fee charged by the LGU); P50 (charge for cooking)
- Mahaba Island has a long stretch of sugary white sand soft enough to fit perfectly between your toes. Its waters are mirror-like, allowing you to see right through it. Take several photos of the picturesque and fetching beachscape dotted by rock formations and swaying coconut trees.
- Swim till your heart’s content, get a tan, or simply pass the time taking everything in.
- There is also a coral reef several meters from the shore, which is a good place to snorkel.
- Bring enough cash before leaving for Inopacan as you might not be able to withdraw once you reach town and start island hopping.
- For those who don’t want to rent and pay extra, bring your own snorkeling gear and camping equipment.
- Bring your own ready to eat meals and drinks if you plan to spend the entire day or the night on the island. You can buy fresh food and have someone cook it for you for a fee. Leave no trace behind.
- Keep your things dry by keeping them in Ziplocs or a dry bag.
- Don’t be the person who was unable to take pictures because their phone or camera died; bring a powerbank or extra batteries.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- After exploring the four beautiful islands of Cuatros Islas (including Digyo Island), get more beach time by traveling to Kalanggaman Island or Canigao Island.
- You also have the option to visit Biliran if you’re up for a longer journey.
- If you just want to spend less time on the road, you can explore the attractions near Tacloban City before returning to Manila or going to your next destination.
Where to Stay
There are overnight cottages on some of the islands or you may opt to camp out. But if you are planning to extend your visit to Tacloban, here are some of the recommended hotels according to Agoda users (as of October 2017).
- Hotel XYZ. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Ironwood Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Z Pad Residences. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Hotel Estrella. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY