Sorsogon is most famous for the whale sharks in Donsol, but this province is home to so much more than just the gentle giants. Located in Brgy. Sawangga in the town of Bacon, Paguriran Island, also known as Paguriran Beach, beckons beach-loving travelers with its white-sand shores and crystalline waters.
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Legazpi International Airport (Albay)
- Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines run flights to Legazpi International Airport.
- From the airport, take a tricycle to the Legazpi Central Terminal and board a van to Sorsogon.
- Alight at the town proper. Proceed as you may as going by land.
- From Manila, take a bus bound for Sorsogon. St. Martha Bus Line and Elavil are some bus lines that have daily trips to the province (P700 – 1500; depending on season).
- Alight at the Sorsogon Town Proper and head to the local SM Savemore. There will be a jeepney and tricycle terminal right beside it. Take a jeepney here bound for Sawangga and tell the driver that you’re bound to Paguriran. You may also choose to rent a tricycle (P500 one way, good for 3 to 4 persons).
Note that jeepneys are scarce in Sawangga, so if you’re on a tight schedule, better rent a tricycle to take you back-and-forth. Travel time is about 14 hours from Manila, so it’s advisable to allot at least three days if you’re traveling by land.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
Entrance Fee: P20 – P50
Camping Fee: P100 (Exclusive of tent)
Cottage Rental Fee: P300 (Open Cottage); P500 – P1000 (Cottage)
- Paguriran’s lagoon is what sets the beach apart. This ring of limestone allows for swimming with colorful fishes and serves as launching pads for cliff-diving.
- Also, if you’re lucky, on a bright clear day, the Mayon Volcano makes an appearance in the background.
- Time your visit during a low tide so you can walk across the long sandbar all the way to the lagoon.
- Make sure to also come very early to access the lagoon – the water recedes in the morning.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- If you love the mountains as much as the sea, you might want to consider hiking up Mt. Pulog also in the town of Bacon.
- You can also head out to the town proper to sunset-watch at the Sorsogon Pier.
More detailed travel guide here: Bacon, Bacon, and the Island of Paguriran
Where to Stay
Here are some of the top accommodations in the province of Sorsogon according to Agoda users (as of June 2017).
Villa Isabel Hotel
Bantigui Beach Resort