2018 • 06 • 26
Albay may be most famous for the “Perfect Cone” Mayon Volcano, but this province offers so much more. Off the coast of Malilipot, Albay is a spread of shoal featuring white sands and azure waters. Known in the local tongue as “Warawara Island” for its fickle nature, Vanishing Island proves to be worth the pursuit.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Legazpi International Airport (Albay)
- There are daily flights to Legazpi via Cebu Pacific, and Philippine Airlines.
- Once in Legazpi, go to the Integrated Terminal and get on a bus to Tabaco City (P25-35).
- Proceed as you may going by land.
- Take a bus bound for Tabaco City in either the Cubao or Pasay bus terminal (P500 for Non-AC; P900 for AC).
- Get off at the Tabaco Public Market and get on a pedicab to the Tabaco Port (P10/head).
- Here, you may charter a boat to Vanishing Island for P1500 (good for 15 pax).
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: As of writing, entrance to the island is FREE.
- Floating Cottage Rental Fee: P500
- Boat Rental Rate: P1500 (round trip, good for 15 pax)
- Surrounding the shoal is a number of floating cottages for rent. Make one of these your homebase instead of just your boat to fully enjoy what Vanishing Island has to offer. If you’re lucky, you may chance upon boats peddling freshly caught seafood for a much lower price.
- Vanishing Island is only accessible when the tide is low, normally from as early as 7:00 AM and as late as 5:00 PM.
- Since it’s in the middle of the sea, you’ll be directly exposed to the sun so make sure to lather on some reef-friendly sunscreen.
- Leave nothing but footprints.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- Island-hop to the nearby Pinamuntugan Island to get the maximum amount of Vitamin Sea.
- You could venture within the six-kilometer “permanent danger zone” through the Mayon Skyline in Tabaco City and see the Mayon Volcano up close.
More detailed travel guide here: DIY Guide to Vanishing Island
Where to Stay
If you are exploring other parts of Albay, here are some of the top accommodations in the province’s capital, Legazpi City, according to Agoda users, in no particular order.
- Lotus Blu Hotel. ✅CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Balay de la Rama Bed and Breakfast. ✅CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Third and Seans Place. ✅CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Casa Roces Bed and Breakfast. ✅CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY