2019 • 02 • 17
Catanduanes is a surfing mecca for local and foreign tourists; the most famous of which is the majestic waves of Puraran. However, the province has many other noteworthy destinations for beach lovers. One of which is Sakahon Beach. Tucked away behind a hill and rough roads, this place has a raw appeal — its golden sand, rock formations, views of the nearby islands, and an idyllic ambiance.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Virac Airport (Catanduanes)
- Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines have flights from Manila to Virac, Catanduanes your jump-off point to the beaches of Mamangal.
- Once in Virac, charter a tricycle for a day trip for approximately P1000 to see the attractions near Virac and the surrounding areas such as Mamangal, Sakahon, and Marilima Beaches. You can also rent a private car for around P2500 to P3000 per day to see the places of interest.
- Buy a bus ticket traveling to Legazpi or Tabaco, it costs between P750 to P850 and may take up to 12 hours.
- The ferries that depart for Virac leave from Tabaco; the ROROs are P150 to P300 while the fast crafts cost P450.
- Once in Virac, you can rent a tricycle for the whole day for around P1000 to visit the attractions near Virac and the surrounding towns such as Mamangal and Marilima Beaches. You can also rent a private car for P2500 to P3000 per day.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: Free to minimal fee.
- Camping Fee: As of writing, no fee for tent-pitching.
- Tricycle Tour Rate: P500 (half day); P1000 (whole day)
- You can go beach bumming and swimming, but be warned, the waves and undercurrent in this part can be rough.
- The beachscape is beautiful, with its golden sand, swaying trees, and views of the nearby islands.
- You can go up to the lighthouse to get a bird’s eye view of the surroundings.
- Before going to Sakahon Beach, bring enough cash with you for your trip; you can withdraw in Virac.
- Located in Bote, Catanduanes, Sakahon Beach provides you with the beach getaway you need; it is far from the town and takes some time to get to. It is behind a hill and the tricycle will need to drive through a partially paved and rough road.
- Bring snacks and drinks for your stay in Sakahon as the food options are very limited. As always, leave no trace behind, if you decide to eat and chill by the beach for an hour or so.
- The waves and undercurrent in this part of the island are moderate to rough, so if you plan to swim, be aware of these.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- After beach bumming in Sakahon, you can explore Locot Islands or you can enjoy the other beaches of Catanduanes such as Mamangal and Marilima.
- Test your surfing mettle on the waves of Puraran if you’re up to the challenge.
- You can also douse the heat of the day by swimming in the cool pool of Maribina Falls.
Where to Stay
There are few decent accommodations within the vicinity, but if you are planning to visit other places in Catanduanes, here are some of the recommended accommodations according to Agoda users, in no particular order.
- Ardci Corporate Inn. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Catanduanes Midtown Inn. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Marem Pension House. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Puraran Surf Beach Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY