As the travel cliché goes, Dinagat has many hidden gems. The province has a number of pristine white sand beaches, unspoiled by mass tourism and over-commercialization; one of which is Cabacungan Beach. Its beachscape is reminiscent of El Nido. The beach is the ideal tropical destination for those who want some sun and sand, far from the buzz of the city.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Bancasi Airport (Agusan del Norte); Surigao Airport (Surigao del Norte)
- There are no direct flights from Manila to Dinagat Islands; however, you can get flights from Manila to either Butuan or Surigao City. Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines have regular flights to and from Butuan, while the flights to Surigao City transit through Cebu.
- Surigao City is often the starting point for trips to Dinagat Island; if you arrive in Butuan, there are non-aircon vans to Surigao from the airport, the fare is around P200.
- Once in Surigao, look for boats bound for San Jose, which is the capital and the town tourists often go to during their trips to Dinagat. The fare for the boat ride is P100/way and it takes approximately an hour and a half.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: As of writing, there’s no entrance fee.
- Camping Fee: It’s usually part of the island-hopping tour, so visitors don’t usually spend too much time here.
- Cottage Rental Fee: As of writing, there are no cottages.
- Day Tour Boat Rates: Around P3000 (whole day tour of destinations around and near San Jose); Around P1500 (half day tour or select places near and around San Jose)
- Cabacungan Beach has a little bit of everything — fine white sand, emerald-colored waters, and rock formations, all of which combine to create a stunning beachscape. Cool down by swimming in its waters, laze on its powdery shores, or simply relax and take everything in.
- Withdraw the cash you need for your trip before departing Surigao City.
- Bring your own gear such as snorkel, mask, and fins if you plan to do some snorkeling and diving during island hopping.
- Buy snacks and drinks in San Jose if you want to have a meal or a light snack on one of the islands. Always leave no trace behind.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- After enjoying the trip, you can relax on Sta. Cruz Beach and visit Islander’s Castle before departing for Surigao.
- Watch the sunset in Mabua Pebble Beach if you plan to spend at least a night in Surigao City.
- If you are staying in the region for a few more days, go south to see Tinuy-an Falls and the Enchanted River.
Where to Stay
There are several resorts and other types of accommodations in the province of Dinagat Islands, but if you are extending your trip to Surigao del Norte, here are some of the recommended hotels according to Agoda users (as of July 2017).
- Parkway Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Hotel Tavern Surigao. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Philippine Gateway Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Ey Miner Suites Borromeo Branch. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY