Bita-og Beach (or Bitaug Beach) of Unib Island in Dinagat Islands has the makings of a premier destination in the Philippines — fine white sand, an idyllic ambiance, dancing coconut trees, and turquoise waters. Despite the characteristics that make it a beautiful island destination, there are very few tourists who visit it. This is the ideal place to relax, unwind and swim.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Bancasi Airport (Agusan del Norte); Surigao Airport (Surigao del Norte)
- There are no direct flights from Manila to Dinagat Islands; however, you can get flights from Manila to either Butuan or Surigao City. Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines have regular flights to and from Butuan, while the flights to Surigao City transit through Cebu.
- Surigao City is often the starting point for trips to Dinagat Island; if you arrive in Butuan, there are non-aircon vans to Surigao from the airport, the fare is around P200.
- Once in Surigao, look for boats bound for San Jose, which is the capital and the town tourists often go to during their trips to Dinagat. The fare for the boat ride is P100/way and it takes approximately an hour and a half.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: As of writing, there’s no entrance fee.
- Camping Fee: It’s usually part of the island-hopping tour, so visitors don’t usually spend too much time here.
- Cottage Rental Fee: P700
- Day Tour Boat Rates: P3000 (whole day tour of destinations around and near San Jose); P1500 (half day tour or select places near and around San Jose)
- Bita-og Beach has the best characteristics of the Philippines’ famous destinations minus the crowds. Let the powdery, white sand fit into the spaces between your toes, swim in the clear waters to douse the heat and laze on the beach or on a hammock while listening to the trees swaying and the waves lapping on the shore.
- Take cash with you as you might not be able to withdraw once the island hopping tour begins.
- If you plan to have a picnic or a meal on the beach, buy snacks and drinks before departing San Jose or Surigao City. Leave nothing but footprints.
- Bring mats, a volleyball, a hammock, Frisbee disc, or other items you’d want to take with you to make the most out of your stay on the island.
- Bring a power bank or extra batteries for your gadgets to keep them charged throughout your trip.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- Bita-og Beach is part of the island hopping tour of the surrounding destinations in San Jose, Dinagat. After beach hopping, return to Surigao City to visit Mabua’s Pebble Beach and watch the sunset there before returning to Butuan for your flight back to Manila.
- Another option is to go to Siargao after returning to Surigao City.
Where to Stay
There are several resorts and other types of accommodations in the province of Dinagat Islands, but if you are extending your trip to Surigao del Norte, here are some of the recommended hotels according to Agoda users (as of July 2017).
- Parkway Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Hotel Tavern Surigao. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Philippine Gateway Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Ey Miner Suites Borromeo Branch. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY