Moalboal is one of the popular beach destinations in the province of Cebu. It is located 90 or so kilometers southwest of Cebu City. It is most famous for its captivating diving spots and marine life. Panagsama beach is the tourist hub for those who want to go diving and snorkeling. But if you want to just relax and unwind, there is also a strip of white sand near Panagsama beach where you can spend the whole day lying on your back, perhaps sipping fresh coconut juice.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get to Moalboal
From Mactan Airport
- If you’re going straight to Moalboal from the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (either on domestic or international flights), you take a taxi cab or a car-transfer service going to Cebu South Terminal in Cebu City.
- From there, find the bus going to Moalboal (Ceres, the yellow-colored bus). It will take you around three or so hours to get to Moalboal’stown proper. This route may seem like a long ride but if you enjoy scenic rides, this is a great way to get acquainted with the beautiful vistas of the province.
- You may also opt to ride a van from the terminal located in SM City Cebu. From the airport, there are P2P buses that will transport you to different points in Cebu City, including SM City Cebu. From the airport to the latter, it will roughly be a 30-minute ride, depending on traffic conditions.
- Once in the mall, look for the van terminal and get on one bound for Moalbal. You’ll have to spend another three hours to get to Moalboal.
- From the ferry terminal in Tagbilaran, Bohol, take the fast craft ferry that will bring you to Cebu City. There are different shipping companies like Oceanjet that has hourly schedules going to and from both cities. The fare costs P500 for tourist class and P1,000 for the business class. You also have to pay the ferry terminal fee of P25.
- Upon arriving at the Cebu Port Terminal, you can either take a taxi going to Cebu South Terminal and ride the Ceres bus going to Moalboal town proper or wait for the P2P bus going to SM City Cebu to ride the van.
- You can reach Moalboal from Dumaguete in as fast as 3 hours. You can do this by taking a boat from Sibulan Port to Bato (Santander).
- When you arrive at the Port of Bato, take a bus going to Cebu that will pass by Barili and ask the driver to drop you off at Moalboal. Travel time between Bato and Moalboal is roughly two hours.
How to get around Moalboal and Panagsama
Upon arriving at the town proper of Moalboal, you need to take a tricycle or a “habal-habal” to get to Panagsama Beach. These two are also the most common modes of transportation within the town. If you know how to drive and has a license, you may also rent a motorcycle on a per day basis.
Where to Stay in Moalboal
Located around 4 km away from the center of town, Panagsama beach is the most popular and most visited area in Moalboal. This area is mostly filled with divers and enthusiasts alike who came to Moalboal to discover its diverse marine life. There is also a string of resorts, restaurants, bars, and dive shops that line up the coast of Panagsama Beach, making it the ultimate place to stay when you’re in Moalboal. It is also home to a number of tourists and expats who loved the place so much that they decided to stay in the town indefinitely or for good. Most of them would tell you that they prefer staying in Moalboal rather than Cebu City because of the former’s more peaceful and relaxed community.
If you’re looking for more sand to walk on and play around with, you can also check the accommodations offered along the length and within the vicinity of White Beach. It is a bit farther from the city center – around six kilometers – and eight kilometers away from Panagsama beach. It is also known to locals as “Basdako” which means “big sand” in the Visayan Language. This beach is more popular with locals. You’ll see a bunch of families and groups of friends who are on a weekend picnic having fun at the beach.
There’s a lot of accommodation choices in Moalboal, from resort hotels to lodges and inns that can fit anyone’s budget.
- The Blue Abyss Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- The Blue Orchid Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Mayas Native Garden Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Marcosas Cottages Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY