The island province of Cebu is one of the most popular tourist destinations (for both local and foreign visitors) in the Philippines. This comes as no surprise because it is easily accessible from different cities including Manila. Here you will also find stunning, powdery, white sand beaches from the mainland to the islands of Bantayan, Camotes and Malapascua. Go sunbathing, swimming, beach bumming, picture taking, play volleyball or Frisbee, or go snorkeling during your visit to these beaches.
Cebu is also a famous scuba-diving destination. There are many dive spots in different parts of the province. Once you submerge into the azure waters, a new underwater world will open to you. There are hard and soft corals that take on various shapes – brain, plant, and table-like in some instances – and come in small to big sizes. The diverse marine life you will see include thresher sharks, turtles, and others.
Other than the beaches and diving spots, Cebu has other attractions that will fill your itinerary. The province has a number of waterfalls to choose from. Kawasan Falls is one of the most famous of these. Swim in the emerald waters of Kawasan or trek for a few minutes to reach the other tiers. Canyoneering is also a popular and exciting activity you can consider doing while in the province.
Furthermore, there are also cultural and historical attractions such as Magellan’s Cross, several museums, ancestral homes, and centuries’ old churches.
Cebu is easy to reach because of the many direct flights from Manila and boat trips from nearby provinces. You won’t have a problem booking a ticket for either because you can get them online, on the day, or before the date of your departure at the port.
Here are the different ways on how you can get to Cebu.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get to Cebu
- VIA AIR. There are many flights from Manila to Cebu City. Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific and AirAsia operate this route. Buy tickets during promotions to get the cheapest possible price – this usually starts several months before your intended departure.
- VIA SEA. Alternatively, you can travel by boat overnight from Manila’s port. 2Go is a popular choice for this boat trip. A one-way ticket costs approximately P1900 one way. The trip takes approximately 11 hours.
Bohol is another famous destination in the Visayas. The island has a number of attractions to keep you busy during the day. Popular spots such as the Chocolate Hills, Loboc River, Tarsier Sanctuary and Alona Beach are possible inclusions to your itinerary. It is possible to do Bohol as a day trip from Cebu City and is often done by tourists pressed for time.
The day trip from one island to the other is possible because of the frequent and fast ferries traveling between them. Ocean Jet and Super Cat take two hours to get from Tagbilaran, Bohol to Cebu or vice-versa. The first trip departing Tagbilaran to Cebu is around 6:00 AM.
- VIA AIR. Tacloban is one of the gateways to Eastern Visayas and Kalanggaman Island. The city has managed to recover from the devastation caused by a major typhoon a few years ago. It is possible to reach Cebu from this city. There are direct flights operated by Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines. The trip takes approximately 45 minutes to 55 minutes one way.
- VIA SEA. Alternatively, you can board a van from Tacloban City to Ormoc. The trip takes around 2.5 hours and costs about P130 per way. From Ormoc Port, board a ferry to Cebu. The ride takes about 2.5 to 3 hours depending on the weather. Fare is around P700 to P1200 depending on the shipping company.
From Boracay/Iloilo City
Boracay was shut down for rehabilitation for a few months, but it is open again and tourist numbers are picking up since its closure. Its fine, white sand shore, azure waters and captivating sunset are still staples of a visit here. It is possible to get to Cebu after exploring this part of Aklan province.
- VIA BORACAY. Board a ferry from Boracay Island to Caticlan Port. Fare is around P250 and takes around 10 minutes. From Caticlan, make your way to the airport. There are direct flights from Caticlan to Cebu. Alternatively, from Caticlan, you can board a bus bound for Kalibo and hop on a plane from there to Cebu.
- VIA ILOILO. If you have the time, you can travel by land and sea via Iloilo City. From Caticlan, board a bus bound for Iloilo; the trip takes about 6 hours and costs approximately P250 to P370. From Iloilo Port, there are ferries traveling overnight to Cebu. The travel time is around 12-13 hours depending on the weather and the price of the ticket is about P930.
Where to Stay
Cebu is a premier destination that has plenty to offer tourists with varying interests. It is also possible to combine other nearby provinces in one trip if you have time. Boracay, Tacloban, Bohol, and Iloilo are places you can include in your itinerary for a long holiday. Here are the top hotels in Cebu City according to Agoda users, in no particular order.
Top Hotels in Cebu City
- Radisson Blu Cebu. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- ABC Hotel Cebu. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Seda Ayala Center Cebu. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Best Western Plus Lex Cebu. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
If you are going to explore Cebu from Bantayan (North) to Moalboal (South), here are the most recommended hotels/resorts by Agoda users.
Top Hotels on Bantayan Island
- Anika Island Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Kandugyap House by the Sea. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Maia’s Beach Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Amihan Beach Cabanas Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
Top Hotels in MoalBoal
- The Blue Abyss Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- The Blue Orchid Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Mayas Native Garden Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Marcosas Cottages Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY