Located just across Ave Maria Island, Turtle Island may be small in size, but it has a raw appeal that makes it a charming addition to your itinerary while in Guimaras. It is part of the island hopping activity from Alubihod Beach, which also includes Baras Beach and Natago Island. It has a cream-colored shore with rock formations dotting different parts of it.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Iloilo International Airport, also known as Cabatuan Airport (Iloilo)
- There are no direct flights from Manila to Guimaras; however, the island is easy to get to from Iloilo City. There are direct and regular flights operated by Cebu Pacific Air and Philippine Airlines.
- Tourists’ route of choice to Guimaras is via Ortiz Wharf where boats bound for Jordan Wharf in Guimaras run regularly. The fastest way to get to the wharf from Iloilo’s city center is by taxi. This is the port of choice because it only takes around 15 minutes to the island; the fare is approximately P15 as of this writing.
- Once in Jordan Wharf, visitors have to register at the tourism office where they can also board tricycles to take them around or straight to their chosen accommodations.
- A one way trip to Alubihod Beach, Nueva Valencia is around P250. This is also the area where most resorts are located. Turtle Island is included in the island hopping activity from Alubihod Beach.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
Entrance Fee: This is usually part of island hopping tour. Check the inclusions before booking yout slot.
Guimaras Tricycle Tour: P1200 – P1500
Island Hopping Rates: P400 – P500/first hour (P150 for succeeding hours; prices may vary depending on the size of the boat.)
- There’s not much to do on Turtle Island (which isn’t a bad thing) other than enjoying doing nothing, lazing on the beach, getting a tan, wading in its warm waters, thinking about the meaning of life, what to eat for dinner, and other important things.
- You can go snorkeling if underwater scenery is your thing.
- As always bring enough cash with you; withdraw before leaving Iloilo City and have enough small bills and change with you.
- Bring dry bags and Ziplocs to keep your gadgets and things dry if you decide to bring them to the beach with you.
- Have a power bank with you to keep your gadgets charged.
- Leave no trace behind if you plan to have a picnic on the beach.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- After enjoying the islands, go on a land tour to see more of Guimaras; some attractions include Guisi Beach and Lighthouse, Sad Sad Falls, and Trappist Monastery, among others.
- If you have a few days to spare, explore attractions near Iloilo City such as the old houses and churches.
Where to Stay
There are decent number of resorts near Alubihod Beach, but if you are planning to tour around the island, here are some of the recommended resorts/accommodations in Guimaras according to Agoda users (as of September 2017).
Raymen Beach Resort
Cabugan Adventure Resort
Jannah Glycel Beach House
Playa de Paraiso Resort