San Juan, La Union is one of the premier surfing destinations in the country. The district has waves for all levels of surfers, whether you are just learning the ropes or are honing your skills for competition. After riding the waves, you can sit back and relax on the dirty white-colored sand and watch one of the best sunsets in Luzon. The area also has a distinct vibe, with many restaurants, bars, and coffee shops.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Ninoy Aquino International Airport, also known as Manila International Airport (Manila)
San Juan is an easy destination to get to from Manila as there are paved roads and regular buses going to it and from it.
- If your accommodation is in Urbiztondo, board a bus bound for Laoag or Vigan (P425). Tell the conductor you’d alight at Urbiztondo. If you’re staying in San Fernando, the bus fare is approximately P400. There are regular buses departing from Sampaloc, Manila, and Cubao, Pasay and along EDSA.
- If you start your trip in La Union from San Fernando, it’s easy to get to Urbiztondo; you can charter a tricycle to take you to your accommodation (P100/way). Alternatively, from the Partas Terminal walk to the jeeps near the market and board one going to Urbiztondo (P11).
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Surfing Lesson P400/hour (including surfboard)
- Surfboard Rental: P200/hour; P500 (half day)
- Tourist Attraction Fees: Tangadan Falls (P500 guide fee for 3 pax, P30 entrance fee, P50 life vest rental)
- After riding the waves, you can head to Tangadan Falls to go cliff diving or swimming at the pool created by the waterfalls. The waterfall is in San Gabriel and is accessible after an approximately 50-minute trek.
- The sunsets in this part of La Union are also spectacular. Urbiztondo Beach is also a nice place to hang out in, if you’re not surfing.
- San Juan is a surfing Mecca in Luzon, the perfect season to ride the waves is from October to March.
- Bring your own surfboard, if you don’t want to rent and don’t forget to take a rash guard with you.
- Bring snacks and drinks, if you plan to do day trips to the nearby waterfalls.
- Bring small bills and some change for entrance fees to nearby attractions.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- After exploring nearby Tangadan Falls, surfing, eating at the restaurants, and beach bumming, you can travel to Baguio City or further north to Ilocos.
Where to Stay
To help you decide, you might want to check these recommended resorts in La Union according to Agoda users (as of January 2019):
- Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Aureo Resort La Union. ✅CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Awesome Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- P and M Final Option Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY