More detailed travel guide here: SIPALAY ON A BUDGET: Travel Guide & Itinerary
Being a seaside city, Sipalay has not only beaches for tourist attractions but also diving sites. Punta Ballo Beach is one of those beaches where you can find resorts, specifically dive resorts, lining its creamy shores. It’s usually the jumping-off point for diving activities. The beach has a warm and laid-back feel, welcoming visitors who long for a serene and relaxing vacation.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Bacolod-Silay Airport (Negros Occidental)
- This is the fastest and the most convenient way. Check your preferred airline company for the flight schedules and airfare from Manila to Bacolod-Silay Airport. Travel time is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- From the airport, take a cab to the South Ceres Bus Terminal (around P260). You can also take a van just across the airport’s arrival area exit (P150/head, one way). Taking a cab is a little bit expensive, but it is recommended if you have many pieces of luggage. You can always split the fare if you are traveling with a friend or two.
- From South Ceres Bus Terminal, board a bus bound for Sipalay or Hinoba-an (P210-300, 4-5 hours). Buses bound for Hinoba-an pass by Sipalay. Alight at Sipalay stop.
- From the city center, you can either check in your stuff first if your hotel is located in the city center or take a tricycle going to one of the resorts lining the shores of Punta Ballo Beach. Fare is P150 per person.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
Entrance Fee: It depends on where you are entering from. Access to the beach is a bit of a challenge because the area is on the hilly side, so the usual point of entry to the beach is from one of the resorts lining its shores. Otherwise, entrance to the beach is FREE.
Camping Fee: It depends on the area. Ask permission first.
Cottage Rental Fee: It depends on where you choose to stay.
Sipalay Tricycle Tour: P1500 (whole day, good for 4 pax)
Sipalay Boat Tour: P1500 (whole day)
- The beautiful sunset! Aside from Poblacion Beach, Punta Ballo Beach is also a great location to watch the beautiful setting of the sun, whether alone or with your loved ones.
- Mingle and interact with the locals during early morning walk or while waiting for the sunset.
- Have a tan, relax in one of the beach lounges, or simply lay on the cream-colored sand.
- Punta Ballo Beach has shallow waters, so it’s safe for kids to swim in.
- If you are into diving, ask one of the dive resorts for the package rate. You can also take this opportunity to learn scuba diving.
- There’s one ATM servicing the whole of Sipalay City. If you are coming from Bacolod, better withdraw enough cash from there before going to Sipalay.
- The city center has decent number of restaurants and budget accommodations, so you won’t have problems with food and lodging. Outside the city center where most resorts are located, accommodation rates are quite steep. Some of the accommodations outside the city are not senior-friendly; you have a lot of stairs to climb, since some of them are built on a hillside. Ask the resort first before booking.
- The resorts and beaches can be reached by either tricycle or boat from the city center.
- Cellphone signal is good within the city center. Areas outside the business district have patchy reception.
- Leave nothing but footprints.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- Also in Sipalay, you can view and take photos of the islets of Tinagong Dagat from one of the resorts or go to Sugar Beach and Poblacion Beach.
- Explore Danjugan Island in the nearby municipality of Cauayan. Learn more about nature conservation while appreciating the marine sanctuary’s colorful and rich marine ecosystem.
- Explore Bacolod before heading back to Manila.
Related topic: Bacolod and Negros Occidental: Budget Travel Guide
Danjugan Island Side Trip: Danjugan Island Important Tips
Where to Stay
There are plenty of resorts and budget hotels in the laid back city of Sipalay. If you want a more peaceful and quieter place to relax, here are some of the recommended resorts in Sipalay City according to Agoda users (as of September 2017).
Easy Diving and Beach Resort
Sugar Beach House
Artistic Diving Resort
Punta Bulata Resort and Spa