2019 • 02 • 20
Camiguin is one of the smallest provinces in the Philippines, but what it lacks in size, it makes up for with attractions. One of the must-visits during a trip to this part of the country is Mantigue Island, also known as Magsaysay Island. It has all the makings of a tropical paradise — dancing coconut trees, a cool breeze, sand you can sink your feet into, and cool turquoise waters to douse the heat in. The island’s idyllic atmosphere allows you to forget the stress of the city.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Camiguin Airport (Camiguin); Laguindingan Airport (Misamis Oriental); Bancasi Airport (Agusan del Norte)
- Camiguin has its own airport but there are no direct flights from Manila, the direct flight comes from Cebu. However, the other airports near Camiguin are in Butuan and Cagayan de Oro City.
- If you arrive at Cagayan de Oro City, take a van bound for Agora Market; the fare is approximately P200.
- Once at the terminal, board either a van or bus traveling to Balingoan Port, the fare is around P150.
- From the port, board a ferry bound for Benoni Port in Camiguin, this costs around P130 to P170 with a P5 terminal fee and P4 environmental fee.
- Barangay San Roque in Mahinog municipality is the jump-off point for trips to Mantigue Island; it is a few minutes away from Benoni Wharf. A boat costs approximately P550 and up for groups of six.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Environmental Fee: P20
- Table Rental Fee: P50 (short table); P100 (long table)
- Others: P150 (snorkel gear rent); P50 (snorkeling fee); P150 (fins rent); P250/hr (kayak rent); P200/hr (duck boat rent)
- Mantigue Island is the ideal beach destination. It has powdery bone-white sand and mirror-like cerulean waters. There are many activities you can do while on the island. Laze on the beach and get a tan, go swimming, snorkel at the sanctuary, ride a kayak or a duck boat, or have a picnic. The shore is big enough for volleyball and Frisbee as well.
- There are ATMs in Camiguin; however, don’t rely on these as they may run out of cash quickly or might be offline. Bring enough cash before you leave Cagayan de Oro City for your entire stay.
- Bring some snacks, drinks, or even meals on Mantigue Island if you plan to have a picnic there; however, leave no trace behind.
- Bring your own gear for snorkeling such as mask and fins if you don’t want to rent.
- Bring a sealed case if you plan to use your gadgets to take photos underwater.
- Bring extra batteries and/or a powerbank to keep your gadgets charged.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- After enjoying and exploring Mantigue Island, visit the other attractions of Camiguin such as White Island — a big, white sand bar off the mainland’s coast, the sunken cemetery, Katibawasan Falls, Ardent Hot Spring, Sto. Nino Cold Spring, the old church ruins and others.
- You can also hike Mt. Hibok-Hibok during your stay.
Where to Stay
There are plenty of choices for accommodation in Camiguin. Here are some of the recommended places in the island province of Camiguin according to Agoda users, in no particular order.
- Agohay Villa Forte Beach Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Camiguin Volcan Beach Eco Retreat and Dive Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- D & A Seaside Cottages. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Nypa Style Resort Camiguin. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY