The Philippines has white, cream, golden, and even black sand beaches. Other than those mentioned, the country also has pebble-lined shores. One of the places to see this is Mabua’s Pebble Beach near Surigao City in Mindanao. The beach isn’t your typical destination where you get to sink your feet into the sand. It has a beautiful beachscape and is the perfect place to watch the sunset during your stay in the city. Its proximity to the city also makes it a popular destination for visitors and locals alike.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Bancasi Airport (Agusan del Norte); Surigao Airport (Surigao del Norte)
- There are no direct flights from Manila to Surigao City. If you book a flight, you’ll transit through Cebu City. Alternatively, book a flight from Manila to Butuan City then board a bus or van bound for Surigao City; the non-aircon van costs P200 one way and the trip may take up to two hours.
- Once in Surigao City, there are tricycles and habal-habals (motorcycle taxi) that can take you to the pebble beach for around P50 to P100 one way, depending on your haggling skills. The trip takes approximately 30 minutes per way.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
Entrance Fee: It depends on where you are staying or entering from. It can go from free to P100/head.
Camping Fee: It depends on where you choose to pitch your tent. Ask permission first. Some allow camping, some don’t.
Cottage Rental Fee: It depends on the resort/area, but it usually starts at P500.
- Pebble Beach is near Surigao City, making it a popular place to go to for locals and tourists. Wait until sunset to watch the skies turn from blue to different shades of red and orange.
- Go swimming or wade in the clear cool waters.
- Have fun by playing volleyball or throwing a Frisbee or go kayaking.
- Bring snacks and drinks if you plan to have a picnic and spend the afternoon by the beach. Leave no trace/trash behind.
- Bring a beach or volleyball to play with during your stay.
- Bring extra batteries or a power bank to keep your gadgets charged.
- Bring cash to pay for rentals and if you plan to spend the night in one of the resorts lining the shore.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- Go to Dinagat Islands for island hopping. The province has many beautiful white sand beaches worth exploring.
- You also have the option to visit Siargao, a famous destination for its cloud 9 waves and the beautiful islands of Daku, Guyam, and Naked.
- If you are staying in the region for a few more days, go south to see Tinuy-an Falls and the Enchanted River.
Where to Stay
There are several resorts and other types of accommodations lining the shore, but if you are extending your trip to other parts of the city, here are some of the recommended hotels in Surigao City according to Agoda users (as of August 2017).
Hotel Tavern Surigao
Philippine Gateway Hotel
Ey Miner Suites Borromeo Branch