2019 • 07 • 01
Siargao is famous, locally and internationally, for the cloud 9 waves; however, for those who don’t surf or are done surfing, there are other things to do. One such activity is island hopping; Daku Island is the biggest in the trio which includes Guyam and Naked Islands. Daku has fine bone-white sand, emerald waters, and swaying coconut trees — all of which make it the perfect tropical destination. It also has a barangay with friendly locals.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Sayak Airport, also known as Siargao Airport (Surigao del Norte)
VIA MANILA (or CLARK)
- Direct flights from Manila to Siargao or Clark to Siargao are now possible. The travel time is about two hours.
- From Sayak Airport, get on a passenger van to take you directly to your hotel in General Luna. Note: General Luna has the highest concentration of accommodations and commercial establishments on the island. It is the usual base for travelers and surfers. The fare is P300 per person. The travel time is about 45 minutes.
- You can also transit via Cebu and then another flight to Siargao.
- Alternatively, you can book a flight bound for Butuan, but you have to get on a van or bus to Surigao City to get on a boat traveling to Siargao.
- If you booked flights to Butuan, you’ll have to go to Surigao City first before you get to Siargao. There are regular vans and buses that ply this route; the non-aircon van costs P200 per way and may take around 2 hours.
- Once in Surigao City, there are boats bound for Dapa, Siargao; a one-way ticket costs P250. The trip to the island takes around three hours per way.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: Daku Island, along with Guyam and Naked Islands, is part of Island Hopping Tour Package. Entrance fee is P100 per boat.
- Camping Fee: Most of the time, it is the second stop when you go island hopping. There are cottages for rent but you can pitch your tent for free or at minimal cost. But do this only if you are not pressed for time.
- Cottage Rental Fee: As of writing, rate is P250 – P300.
- Island Hopping Tour Rates: Rates range from P800 to P2000 per head, depending on the travel/tour agency. It usually covers three islands (Naked, Daku, and Guyam), entrance fees, lunch, boat for the whole day, and guide. Check the package inclusions before booking.
- Daku Island is a part of the island hopping tour that also includes Guyam and Naked Islands. Daku is the biggest of the three; it has soft white sand that fit perfectly between your toes and refreshing mirror-like waters perfect for swimming and snorkeling.
- The beach is wide enough for activities such as beach volleyball and Frisbee. You can also chill and relax in one of the hammocks there.
- Take plenty of pictures of the beautiful and idyllic beachscape with its cerulean waters, dancing coconut trees, and bone-white sand.
- Go beach bumming or have a picnic with friends or family; there are huts you can rent during your stay. You can also take this opportunity to mingle with locals and other tourists.
- The place you want to get to for island hopping is General Luna; there are tricycles that ply the route from Dapa.
- There are ATMs on the island, but don’t rely on them as they are either out of cash or not working. Make your withdrawals in the city (Manila, Cebu, Surigao, Davao, etc) before departing for Siargao.
- There are restaurants, carinderias, and sari-sari stores in Dapa and General Luna for food, snacks, and drinks. You can also buy your food on the island and have them cooked there at minimal cost.
- Bring your own surfboard if you don’t want to rent. Bring your own snorkeling gear and flippers if you want to snorkel or free dive.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- After island hopping in Daku, Naked, and Guyam Islands; test your mettle on Siargao’s waves if you visit during the right season.
- You can also go swimming and diving at Magpupungko Rock Pool.
- Rent a motorbike to explore the island’s beautiful countryside.
- If your budget and time allow it, go to Sohoton to enjoy its lagoons and view its beautiful rock formations or see stingless jellyfish in the right season.
RELATED TOPIC: Siargao Island: Important Tips
Where to Stay
There are plenty of resorts and other types of accommodations in Siargao, here are some of the highly recommended resorts according to Agoda users, in no particular order.
- Isla Cabana Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Ocean 101 Cloud 9 Beach Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Bravo Beach Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Eddie’s Beach Resort Siargao. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY