2019 • 02 • 21
Negros Oriental has plenty of attractions for those that went to explore more of Visayas. Here you will find Apo Island, one of the most famous and favorite diving sites not only in the Visayas but in the whole country. It is famous for its vibrant marine life with multi-colored corals and the opportunity to swim with turtles. It is a premier destination which is doable as a day trip or overnight stay from Dumaguete.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Sibulan Airport, also known as Dumaguete Airport (Negros Oriental)
- There are direct flights from Manila to Dumaguete; look out for discounted fares to spend less to get to the city and spend more for your trip. The flight takes around one hour and 20 minutes.
- Once at the city, you have to either rent a private car or travel by public transport to the port that has boats to Apo Island.
- If you failed to get discounted flights, one of the options is to travel by boat to Cebu from Manila.
- 2Go travels to Cebu Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays. The cheapest ticket you can get for this route is approximately P1,071 one way. 2Go has a Manila-Dumaguete route that operates only on Sundays; the cheapest ticket is around P1700.
- From Cebu, go to the South Bus Terminal and board a bus bound for Liloan for approximately P250 then ride a boat to Dumaguete for around P60.
- Once in Dumaguete City, you have options as to how to get to the island, one of which is to book a tour that may cost around P1000 to P2000 per person, depending on the size of the group.
- You can also get on a jeep bound for Zamboanguita that costs P60, tell the driver you want to go to Apo Island; he’ll drop you off at Malatapay.
- Once there, you can either hire a private boat for around P2000 to P3000 or wait for the public one for P300.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: P100
- Snorkel Activity Fee: P100, snorkel guide; P100, life vest; P100, snorkel gear; P100, aqua shoes; P50, snorkeling fee. You can bring your own snorkeling gear if you don’t want to spend much.
- Cottage Rental Fee: Rates vary from one resort to another.
- Apo Island is famous for swimming with turtles, you can get as close to them as possible, but don’t touch.
- Aside from the turtles, discover other underwater creatures and rich marine life as you scale the depths of the reefs.
- Aside from Apo Island Marine Sanctuary, here’s the list of other reef sites in Apo Island: Largahan Reef, Balay Reef, The Chapel Reef, Katipanan Reef, Olo Reef, Mamsa Reef, and Kan Oran Reefs.
- Bring cash if you plan to spend the night on the island.
- Follow the rules set by the guide when you swim with the turtles.
- Leave nothing but memories and foot prints.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- Explore Dumaguete city and eat sans rival.
- Visit either Bais to watch dolphins or the Manjuyod Sand Bar.
Where to Stay
There are a number of decent lodgings on the island itself, from homestay to resort; but if you’re only visiting for a day because you want to extend your exploration to Dumaguete, here are some of the recommended resorts that you can find in Dumaguete according to Agoda users, in no particular order.
- Acqua Dive Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Villa del Mare. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Sea Dream Resorts. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- White Chocolate Hills Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY