Are you looking for a white sand beach in Mindanao? If you are, one of the places to add to your itinerary is the Britania Group of Islands in Surigao del Sur. The islands have powdery sand, clear waters and aren’t as commercialized as other popular places in the country. This group of islands is the ideal place to beach bum, swim in its aquamarine waters and just enjoy the company of your friends and/or family.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Bancasi Airport (Agusan del Norte); Tandag Airport (Surigao del Sur)
- There’s no direct flight from Manila to Tandag Airport. Coming from Manila, book flight tickets bound for Butuan or Davao City instead. The former is closer, which only takes approximately 3 hours (one way), while the latter option may take you up to 5 hours or more.
- If you’re coming from Butuan City, ride a bus traveling to Tandag at the Integrated Bus Terminal. Tell the driver you’ll alight at Britania Junction.
- From the port, you can spend the night at Mac Arthur’s Place or La Entrada Resort and Restaurant. Both accommodations offer island hopping tours from P1000 to P1500, depending on the size of your group.
Alternatively, if you are coming from Davao City, you can ride a bus that goes to Tandag City. Alight at Britania Junction, but this isn’t regular. If you can’t find one that goes to Tandag, you may ride a bus that goes to Butuan. Alight at San Francisco, then board another bus heading to Barobo. From there, board a bus bound for San Agustin, and alight at Britania Junction.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: It depends on where you choose to go and stay. Some areas have no entrance fee.
- Camping Fee: It depends on the resort. Some of them allow camping, some don’t.
- Cottage Rental Fee: Rates vary from one resort to another.
- Environmental Fee: P20
- Island Hopping Rate: P1500/boat for 4 islands; P2000/boat for all islands
- The must-visit islands during your trip are Hagonoy Island, Naked Island and Boslon Island. All three provide white sand and refreshing waters. Their idyllic charm and rustic atmosphere provide you with the opportunity to just chill and relax while watching the day go by.
- As most rural towns and accommodations in the Philippines, you’ll need cash to pay for most things, bring enough to cover your trip.
- Bring food for the island hopping or have some cooked at the place you’re staying in.
- Leave nothing but memories and foot prints.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- If you have a day or two to spare, visit Tinuy-an Waterfalls and the Enchanted River in Hinatuan.
Where to Stay
There are several resorts and guesthouses along the coast of Barangay Britania, but if you are planning to further explore the province of Surigao, here are some of the recommended hotels according to Agoda users (as of July 2017).
- Parkway Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Hotel Tavern Surigao. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Philippine Gateway Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Ey Miner Suites Borromeo Branch. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY