2019 • 07 • 24
See full details and sample itinerary here: MASASA BEACH ON A BUDGET: Travel Guide & Itinerary
The only island municipality in Batangas, Tingloy holds a secret — the pristine, sparkling type. Its fish-shaped main island called Maricaban appears to be hopping from Balayan to Batangas Bay. Masasa Beach is the fish’s belly, a curl of powdery paradise, which is barely disturbed for two reasons: most people do not know it exists, and those who do go only as far as Sombrero Island. There’s hardly any man-made structure in the area, so catch Masasa Beach while it’s still fresh and unspoiled.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Ninoy Aquino International Airport, also known as Manila International Airport (Manila)
- From Manila, take a bus going to the Grand Terminal in Batangas City. The fare is P140 – P210, depending on the point of origin. Travel time is about two hours.
- From the Grand Terminal, take a jeepney to Anilao Port (Mabini Multi-purpose Port) or Talaga Port. The fare is P40, and travel time is more or less 40 minutes. Note: Anilao Port is used during the amihan season (December to June); Talaga port during the habagat season.
- From either Anilao Port or Talaga Port, board a passenger boat to Tingloy Port (P80) or directly to Masasa Beach (P100). Travel time is 40 minutes to an hour. Note: The boats that go straight to Masasa Beach are very few. The last passenger boat back to the mainland leaves Tingloy Port at 2:30 PM. If you are a big group or only doing a day tour, you can also rent a private boat.
- From Tingloy Port, take a tricycle to your accommodation (overnight trip) or to the jump-off point of the trek to Masasa Beach. The fare is P80.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: FREE
- Camping Fee: Overnight camping is not allowed anymore, but you can still pitch your tent during the day until 7 PM.
- Cottage Rental Fee: There are no cottages for rent as of writing.
- Island Hopping Tour from Anilao: P4500/boat (good for 10 pax)
- Island Hopping Tour from Masasa Beach: P1500/boat (good for 3 pax)
- Environmental Fee: P30
- Sombrero Island Entrance: P200/person
- Mag-asawang Bato, two gigantic rock formations, awaits you on top of a nearby hill. Go brave the slopes and get up close and personal with the hard rock couple.
- Swimming and beach bumming of course! It’s a long beach; don’t just stay on the main beach. Go further and enjoy other pockets of sand where crowds are few.
- Go island hopping. Itinerary usually includes Oscar Beach and even Sombrero Island.
- There is only one schedule going to and from the island for the passenger boats. Passenger boat costs P120 per way. They leave at around 9 AM and sometimes earlier if the boat is already full. This is to avoid strong currents along the way.
- If you are staying overnight, electricity is unpredictable. Electricity is out at 12 MN, but it can happen as early as 10 or 11 PM.
- Bring an extra battery for your camera or bring power banks.
- Masasa Beach is beautiful when it’s sunny and you can see the waters’ different shades of blue. The waters are not as blue when it’s cloudy.
- There’s a small restroom for a minimal fee.
- Bring sun protection like a hat, scarf, or coral-friendly sunscreen (those without oxybenzone, parabens, and benzophenone). Bring also insect or mosquito repellant lotion.
- Some areas don’t allow tent pitching. If ever you are pitching under the shade of the coconut trees, be careful of the falling coconuts.
- Leave no trash behind. Bring your garbage with you. PLEASE.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- Go on an island hopping tour around Maricaban Islands.
- After your adventure in Tingloy, you might also want to consider trekking to the summit of Mt. Gulugod Baboy in nearby Anilao, Mabini.
Where to Stay
Camping has long been the choice of most weekenders as Masasa Beach have yet to have resorts. However, overnight camping is not permitted anymore. You may opt to spend your night in one of the homestays or guesthouses instead. If you are planning to explore Anilao in Mabini, Batangas or are only planning a day trip on Masasa Beach, here are some of the recommended resorts in Anilao according to Agoda users, in no particular order.
- La Chevrerie Resort ands Spa. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Buceo Anilao Beach & Dive Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Aiyanar Beach & Dive Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Planet Dive. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Pier Uno Dive Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
For more options, search here: Batangas Resorts