Ilocos Norte is a province brimming with history and natural wonders. Strong winds and mighty waves are not foreign to Pagudpud in Ilocos Norte; the town’s beaches are perfect for those who love riding the waves or even those who are starting to learn how to surf, especially during the right season. Blue Lagoon Beach, locally known as Maira-ira Beach, is one of those beaches. Apart from the waves, it attracts beach lovers with its turquoise blue waters and white sand.
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Laoag International Airport (Ilocos Norte)
- This is the fastest and the most convenient way to reach Pagudpud in Ilocos Norte. Check your preferred airline company for the flight schedules and airfare from Manila to Laoag International Airport. Travel time is approximately 1 hour.
- From Laoag airport, you can either ride a jeep or hire a tricycle going to the city proper.
- From the city proper, the best and most recommended way to tour different parts of Ilocos Norte is by hiring a tricycle. Paoay, Batac, Pagudpud, and Burgos are the popular destinations. Rates vary per destination. Blue Lagoon can be reached by taking North Tricycle Day Tour package (P600).
- If you are not pressed for time, you can take the bus from either Cubao or Pasay. Fare from Manila to Laoag is P800-980. If you are planning to go to Vigan first, fare is P600-850. Travel time from Manila to Ilocos is 10-12 hours.
- From Laoag bus terminal, ride a tricycle to the bus station offering Laoag-Pagudpud route (around P60). If you are coming from Vigan, take another bus ride to Laoag (P120, per way).
- From the city proper, the best and most recommended way to tour different parts of Ilocos Norte is by hiring a tricycle. Paoay, Batac, Pagudpud, and Burgos are the popular destinations. Rates vary per destination.
Blue Lagoon can be reached by taking North Tricycle Day Tour package (P600).
You can also commute via bus, but most of your time will be spent waiting for the bus. Remember that time wasted is equivalent to money wasted.
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
Entrance Fee: It depends on where you are staying or entering from. As of writing, it can go from free to P20/head.
Camping Fee: It depends on where you choose to pitch your tent. Ask permission first. Some allow camping, some don’t. It can go from free to the usual P100 (exclusive of tent).
Cottage Rental Fee: It depends on the resort/area, but it usually starts at P500 (open cottage).
Tricycle Tour Rate: P600 (North Tour Package – Pagudpud Area); P600 (South Tour Package – Burgos Area); P250 (Batac Tour); P250 (Paoay Tour)
- Appreciate the overlooking view of the beach from the zip line station/jumping-off point. Snap some photos too! While you’re at it and if you are quite adventurous, why not try the zip line and fly over the Blue Lagoon?
- Aside from swimming and riding the waves (during the right season), you can also play beach volleyball, go kayaking, try the banana boat, or just relax by the beach.
- Check out nearby Bantay Abot Cave.
- There are areas which are commercialized with numerous establishments lining the beach, and it can get really crowded. If you want fewer crowds, stay away from these areas. Be ready to rough it out if you want to get away from these commercialized spots.
- Blue Lagoon is farther from the town proper of Pagudpud; hence, usually less crowded than Saud Beach. The thing is that Saud Beach has bigger area for leisurely swimming than Blue Lagoon.
- Some resorts accept cards, but bring enough money with you, just in case.
- Resorts and establishments offer food and refreshments, but you can bring your own food or snack if staying in one of these resorts is not in your plan. Locals, especially homestays, offer to cook your food for you.
- If you want to sing your heart out, do it early.Barangay ordinance allows the use of videoke until 11pm only.
- Observe proper garbage disposal. Leave nothing but footprints.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- You can go to Saud Beach after testing the waters of Blue Lagoon.
- Other popular attractions in Pagudpud are Kabigan Falls, Patapat Viaduct, Aqua Grande, and Paraiso ni Anton.
- Explore Ilocos Norte further when you visit these sites: Bangui Wind Farm, Kapurpurawan Rock Formation, Cape Bojeador Lighthouse, La Paz and Paoay sand dunes, Paoay Church and other historical churches, and museums.
- Visit other notable heritage sites in Vigan, Ilocos Sur before heading back to Manila.
Where to Stay
There are decent number of accommodations lining the shore of Blue Lagoon, but if you are extending your trip to other places in Pagudpud, here are some of the recommended hotels according to Agoda users (as of September 2017).
Pannzian Beach Resort
Casa Consuelo Resort – Island Reef
Kingfisher Sand Sea Surf Resort
Natsuca Beach Resort