The town of Castilla in the province of Sorsogon may be looking to market itself as an agritourism location, but off its coast lies a gem that beach-bums and island-lifers would surely appreciate. Set in the heart of Sorsogon Bay, the tadpole-shaped island of Malawmawan (also spelled Malaumauan) could be what puts Castilla on the tourist map.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Legazpi International Airport (Albay)
- Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines run daily flights to Legazpi International Airport.
- Once in the city, head to the Legazpi Integrated Terminal and get on a bus to Sorsogon.
- Proceed as you may going by land.
- In Cubao and Pasay, take a bus bound for Sorsogon (P500-800 for non-AC; P850-1100 for AC) and alight at the Cumadcad Public Market.
- Here, there is a terminal where you can take a jeepney bound for Barangay Macalaya (P20).
- Alight at the Macalaya Port and charter a boat to the island (P500-1000; depending on the number of persons).
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: As of writing, entrance to the island is FREE; pending approval of the Tourism mandate by the Castilla LGU.
- Camping Fee: As of writing, FREE.
- Boat Rental Rate: P500 (round trip, good for 2 pax)
- Malawmawan is a stretch of island dotted with coconut trees and surrounded by mangroves. In just three hours, you can go around its entirety. Be sure to get a glimpse of the wild ducks and other migratory fowls that rests on one side of the island.
- Malawmawan allows overnight stays but take note that there’s no electricity here. Tent-pitching is allowed.
- There is a lone cottage that was meant for its caretakers but could accommodate guests upon request.
- There are also no stores here so bring enough supply. Grilling and cooking implements are available for those looking to make like an island chef.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- Check out another one of Castilla’s tourist attraction: the Nasipit River. Take a cruise along this pristine waterway aboard a floating cottage while feasting on Sorsogon’s bountiful seafood. Additionally, if the weather permits it, you may check out the nearby Panumbagan Atoll.
More detailed travel guide here: DIY Travel Guide to Malawmawan Island, Sorsogon
Where to Stay
Here are some of the top accommodations in the province of Sorsogon according to Agoda users (as of August 2017).
- Bantigui Beach Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Villa Isabel Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Ingko Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Fernandos Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY