2019 • 02 • 18
The town of Castilla in the province of Sorsogon may be looking to market itself as an agritourism location, but off its coast lies a gem that beach-bums and island-lifers would surely appreciate. Set in the heart of Sorsogon Bay, the tadpole-shaped island of Malawmawan (also spelled Malaumauan) could be what puts Castilla on the tourist map.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Legazpi International Airport (Albay)
- Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines run daily flights to Legazpi International Airport.
- Once in the city, head to the Legazpi Integrated Terminal and get on a bus to Sorsogon.
- Proceed as you may going by land.
- In Cubao and Pasay, take a bus bound for Sorsogon (P500-800 for non-AC; P850-1100 for AC) and alight at the Cumadcad Public Market.
- Here, there is a terminal where you can take a jeepney bound for Barangay Macalaya (P20).
- Alight at the Macalaya Port and charter a boat to the island (P500-1000; depending on the number of persons).
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
- Entrance Fee: As of writing, entrance to the island is FREE; pending approval of the Tourism mandate by the Castilla LGU.
- Camping Fee: As of writing, FREE.
- Boat Rental Rate: P500 (round trip, good for 2 pax)
- Malawmawan is a stretch of island dotted with coconut trees and surrounded by mangroves. In just three hours, you can go around its entirety. Be sure to get a glimpse of the wild ducks and other migratory fowls that rests on one side of the island.
- Malawmawan allows overnight stays but take note that there’s no electricity here. Tent-pitching is allowed.
- There is a lone cottage that was meant for its caretakers but could accommodate guests upon request.
- There are also no stores here so bring enough supply. Grilling and cooking implements are available.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- Check out another one of Castilla’s tourist attractions: the Nasipit River. Take a cruise along this pristine waterway aboard a floating cottage while feasting on Sorsogon’s bountiful seafood. Additionally, if the weather permits it, you may check out the nearby Panumbagan Atoll.
More detailed travel guide here: DIY Travel Guide to Malawmawan Island, Sorsogon
Where to Stay
Here are some of the top accommodations in the province of Sorsogon according to Agoda users, in no particular order.
- Bantigui Beach Resort. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Villa Isabel Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Ingko Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
- Fernandos Hotel. ✅ CHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY