Often hailed as the “Batanes of the West”, the municipality of Mariveles is definitely not lacking in the beautiful landscape department. With most of its land area remaining as wild places, the town is sure to come up with a horde of incredible natural gems; one of which is a free-for-all public beach called Agwawan. This place remains a favorite among locals and has been drawing in budget-conscious tourists looking for a day out in the sun.
How to Get There
Nearest Airport: Clark International Airport (Pampanga), Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Manila)
– Take a Mariveles-bound bus either from Cubao or Pasay (P230-280).
– Should there be no Mariveles-bound buses in either of the terminals, an alternative would be to take a bus headed for Balanga and alight at the Balanga terminal (P200). Here, there are buses to Mariveles (P55-60).
– Make sure to alight in the Mariveles town proper where tricycles are available to chauffeur you to the beach and to other destinations in town you might want to visit (P500 for whole day tour; good for two).
Entrance Fee and Other Charges
Entrance Fee: Free
Camping Fee: Free
Cottage Rental Fee: Rates vary from one resort to another.
- Take in the view of the ridges forming a protecting embrace around the beach. The odd shapes of the peaks make for a great photo.
- There are plenty of cottages near the shore that are free for the public to use.
- Several sari-sari stores also line the beach and there are some resorts if you’re looking to stay the night or want some privacy.
- Also, no public vehicles ply this route so it’s advisable to rent a tricycle if you’re not bringing your own ride coming here.
If You Have More Time and Budget
- One of the main industries of Mariveles is boat manufacturing. You can witness how a boat is constructed at the nearby boatyard on the way to the beach.
More detailed travel guide here: http://www.celineism.com/2016/12/mariveles-bataan-travel-guide.html
Where to Stay
Planning to explore Bataan more? Here are some of the recommended resorts in the province of Bataan according to Agoda users (as of June 2017).
Vista Venice Resort
Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar Hotel
La Vista Inland Resort
Phi-phi Beach Hotel & Island Resort